Saturday, September 19, 2009

How do you heal a broken heart?


Ps 34:18 The LORD is near to those who have a broken heart,
And saves such as have a contrite spirit.

September first began as any other day, we had finished coffee, I was doing the morning dishes and talking on my cell phone. I noticed that my brother from Alaska was calling on the other line so I finished the call and also noticed he text messaged at the same time. The message read "Pray for us now! Call". Nothing in life prepares you for this kind of phone call, my brother's voice in shock and flooded with adrenaline blurted out "Jared shot himself, Jared is dead". All I could say is "what?" he repeated himself and then said "pray the police are here". The phone line went dead and my emotions exploded. I could not believe what I had heard. The kitchen filled with the whole family, in hind sight it was a very rare day with everyone home, my brother Marc was also here; I relayed the short message I had received fell into a pool of tears.


We had just returned from a vacation from Depot Bay Oregon. I had been pondering the story of a grey whale named "Scarback". This whale many years ago was harpooned in the back and still has a huge, gaping, bloody area on it's back that looks like a raw fresh wound. Living in the saltwater leaves the wound clean but unable to heal over. This whale was injured at least 10 years ago and during that 10 years has continued on with the journey of life. Scarback is seen migrating through the waters of Depoe Bay each year and has brought four calves with her during those years.


This graphic picture Scarback still living life and giving life has been a reminder that even though life brings us wounds beyond tragic we still must go on. We must lean on our faith as never before and trust in God's sovereignty.

There is nothing that can prepare you for this kind of grief. But we do not grieve as those with out hope.

13 And now, dear brothers and sisters, we want you to know what will happen to the believers who have died so you will not grieve like people who have no hope.
1 Thessalonians 4:13 NLT

Many more lessons to follow....

2 comments:

  1. Even in the depths of such sorrow...you still SEE.
    Though pain and tears may blur your vision...you still SEE.

    HE is near!

    My deepest condolences...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for always giving me courage, friend.

    ReplyDelete